8.01.2007

Movie Review: Talk to Me



"I’ll tell it to the hot, I’ll tell it to the cold, I’ll tell it to the young, I’ll tell it to the old, I don’t want no laughin’, I don’t want no cryin’, and most of all, no signifyin’." -Petey Greene ( January 23, 1928 – January 10, 1984 )

Tonight I went to a sneak preview of Talk to Me. The film stars Don Cheadle, Chiwetel Eljoifor, Taraji Henson, Cedric the Entertainer and directed by Kasi Lemmons (Eve's Bayou). The movie is rated R for strong language and some nudity.

Now, before I go any further, I would like to say that if you have an extra $9.00 this weekend, take that $9.00 and go see this film (unless you need it for your tank).

Cheadle portrays 70's radio icon Ralph Waldo "Petey" Greene and Eljoifor is Dewey Hughes. Both of these men were pioneers. Without these two, there would be no Doug Banks, Tom Joynor, or Steve Harvey.


Greene was incarcerated when he started making announcements over the PA system. He was never ashamed of his prison time. He would regular say "I am nothing but a con and a thief."

Petey didnt hold no bars when it came to the truth. As he would say, "I am the People." He was not afraid to use vulgar or sensitive language to get a point across; didnt care if his message offended. He just called things the way he saw them.

Dewey Hughes notice the effect that Greene had on people and offered him a job as a radio dj. Hughes moved Greene from radio to stand up to eventually to television. After Greene and Hughes split, Hughes would later form the media conglomerate, Radio One.

Petey Greene was more than a movement, he was a force of nature.


Greene passed away in 1984 from cancer. Even though he was not a public official, more than 10,000 people attended his funeral.

I have posted some of his broadcasts for your viewing pleasure.









0 Notes from all over: