9.24.2007

Keke Wyatt blasts Essence.com!

In an Eurweb.com podcast, Keke Wyatt blasts Essence.com regarding an Q&A with the mag last month. Ms. Wyatt claims that she was "badly misquoted" when the discussion turned toward her ethnic background.

Here is the actual quote from Essence.com:

I hate how everyone thinks that Black people are beneath them, even Asians, Whites and ... Mexicans. No, I'm not all Black, but I definitely stand up for the Black people. They've had it rough, they can't help the fact that they're skin is dark, or that their nose is a lil' wider or that the curls in their hair might be tighter. I don't think that it's fair for people who look like me-the light skin, pointy nose and pretty hair-to think that dark-complected people are any less than them. Who am I? I'm not better than you. I breathe the same air and I bleed the same blood. Nobody is better than anybody else. We are all in this struggle called life. I think brown skin is beautiful because people like me have to lay out in the sun to try and look like you. My best friends are Black-I mean, Black-Black-and I think that's so beautiful. I think that's why I decided to make my children Black...I could have married a White dude and my kids probably would have looked completely White. That's not what I wanted. Now, they can go outside and get a for-real tan (laughs). I think Black is beautiful. I stand for the African-American people until the day I die."



0 Notes from all over: