10.10.2007

Artist: Che'nelle



Aussie Che'nelle is hot!

In an King mag exclusive, the singer/songwriter talks about her upbringing, how she fell into the world of dancehall/reggae, and even her underwear preference.


KING: Born in Malaysia; raised in Australia. How the hell did you get into reggae/dancehall?

Che’nelle: I
went looking for something different. Reggae didn’t actually come to Australia until, like, five years ago, but it was so underground. A DJ over there introduced me to it. More hip-hop clubs mix [their music] with reggae; they never used to do that, and now there’s dancehall clubs, as well. So in the span of six years, it just exploded.



KING: Your love of music started way before you claimed Aussie,though, right?

Che'nelle:
Yeah. When I was in Malaysia, I was like 4, and I remember watching the Grammy Awards and seeing Whitney Houston singing “One Moment In Time.” I thought it’d be cool to do that. My mom told me that I made her rewind it over and over. My dad had a karaoke bar, and I would go there on the weekends. What’s funny was that I didn’t really grow up with lullabies.

For more of this interview and to see more pics of Che'nelle, cop the latest issue of KING, in stores now.

Watch Che’Nelle’s video, “I Fell In Love With The DJ” Feat. Cham


0 Notes from all over: