11.08.2007

Botulism found in some popular pacifiers


My mother-in-law called me concerning the type of pacifier my daughter has. Before reading the story, I was thinking, "Lord, please don't let it be one of Gen's pacifiers." As a mother, this is really scary.

The bateria, Botulism, has been found in some pacifiers made in Mexico. Chupones or pacifiers have honey or corn syrup to make them more pliant and more like a mother’s breast.

According to the CDC, 15 percent of all infant botulism cases are caused by honey. Corn syrup can also contain the spores that transmit the potentially fatal disease.

Click here to read more.

Don't worry, my daughter does not have this type of pacifier. I purchase clear tip pacifiers.

1 Notes from all over:

Phyllis E said...

Here's some additional information on infant botulism and honey:
http://efoodalert.blogspot.com/2007/12/honey-of-dilemma.html