10.24.2007

My thoughts: October 24


It may seem as if I am going to ramble during this post, but I am going to write what is in my heart. So please forgive me for any and all grammatical errors

.

On my way to work this morning, I was listening to the radio (The Beat 104.9 ATX). During the 9 o'clock hour, callers have the opportunity to call and talk about anything and everything. Well one caller wanted to voice her opinion about the California wildfires and how quickly aid was coming in to help those residents. With anger in her voice, she stated that she did not understand why it took the government so long to get help and aid to New Orleans, but a matter of hours to the CA residents.

This fire has been going on for a few days now. We do not know how long it takes to mobilize volunteers, rescue units, and aid to areas affected by calamity. New Orleans residents always knew that the city was endangered to flood at any time. While going to USM-Hattiesburg, there were always talk about if a great storm were to hit New Orleans, the city would be underwater.

We just never knew it would happen in our lifetime.

READ THE REST

When Katrina hit the MS Gulf Coast and the surrounding areas, I was shocked and appalled at the devastation. I was sad and angry that so many people could not get out of New Orleans and the Gulf Coast in time. I was pregnant at the time and it hurt to see children limped over from dehydration and lack of food. Mothers and fathers crying out for help. During one of my emotional rants, my older sister said this to me: Our people had chances to get out and they chose to stay.

Most of the Cali residents being affected are millionaires, even billionaires. Yes, they can easily buy themselves newer, bigger, better homes. They have lost precious items that can't be replaced as well: wedding/birthday/kids pictures, family heirlooms that have been passed down, etc.

What I am trying to say is that the government learned a lot from Katrina's mistakes and able to get help and aid quicker to affected areas.

0 Notes from all over: